Table of Contents
- 1 Which Australian stamps are worth money?
- 2 What is the best Australian stamp Catalogue?
- 3 How can you tell if old stamps are real?
- 4 How do you tell if a stamp has been used?
- 5 Are there any stamps that are collectible in Australia?
- 6 Where was the 1934 Australian postage stamp postmarked?
- 7 Which is the rarest postage due in Australia?
Which Australian stamps are worth money?
Most valuable Australian stamps
- $289,080. Inverted Swan stamp, 1855.
- $142,563. 10 shilling Kangaroo & Map essay stamp, 1911.
- $120,000. £2 Black and Rose Kangaroo and Map stamp, 1912.
- ~$100,000. 1p red King George V stamp, 1914-1920.
- $94,875. Classic Victoria 3d blue stamp, 1850.
What is the best Australian stamp Catalogue?
The Stanley Gibbons Australia Catalogue
The Stanley Gibbons Australia Catalogue is a detailed and highly informative catalogue, ideal for any collector who specialises in the stamps of this area.
Where can I sell my old Australian stamps?
Stamps can be sold in various ways:
- Stamp dealers.
- Specialist stamp auction houses.
- Stamp fairs and markets.
- Via Stamp clubs (usually only if you are a member)
How can you tell if old stamps are real?
The real stamp glows green. The glow of the counterfeit is more blue, showing off brighteners in the paper (which could trigger cancellation machines). The fakes even have microprinting.
How do you tell if a stamp has been used?
How can I spot used or counterfeit stamps?
- Cost less than the official Royal Mail prices.
- Security ovals on each side of the stamp are missing or uneven.
- Unusual colourings.
- Uneven borders.
- An unusually shiny surface.
- Stamps may be stuck on to what appears to be greaseproof paper.
Where can I take my stamps to be valued?
9 ways to sell your stamp collection
- Stamp magazines. The reputable publication ‘Stamp Magazine’ (above) is available from larger newsagents and the classified advertising section will help you to locate dealers and collectors who offer a valuation service.
- Stamp fairs.
- Philatelic Traders Society.
- Sell at auction.
Are there any stamps that are collectible in Australia?
Collectible Australian stamps are as rich and diverse as the country itself, presenting something of interest to both beginning and long-time philatelists alike. There are many impressive collectible Australian stamps. Especially popular are those ones depicting the native animals.
Where was the 1934 Australian postage stamp postmarked?
1934 New Zealand-Australia signed Flight Cover. VH-VXX ‘Faith in Australia,’ Charles Ulm, Commander. Australian and New Zealand stamps postmarked Kaitaia, Wellington and Sydney. Loading more…
Which is the rarest stamp block in Australia?
George V 5d stamp block is a rare block of four that is the largest multiple of the Australian George V 5d. The block is considered to have been printed on paper left over from the 1d 1918 printing, which explains its use of rough bright chestnut paper.
Which is the rarest postage due in Australia?
Australia 20 postage due stamp, 1908. 1908 Australian 20 shilling postage due is an extreme Australian philatelic rarity. The stamp was released to replace the previous postage due series, which featured the value in the border. Such a printing caused the difficulties in distinguishing shillings from pence.