Table of Contents
- 1 How can drug interactions be prevented in the elderly?
- 2 Is Marinol safe for elderly?
- 3 How can you prevent drug and drug interactions?
- 4 What needs to be done to safely administer medication to older adults and ensure compliance?
- 5 What are three strategies for using medications safely?
- 6 When should I take dronabinol?
- 7 When to take dronabinol for severe sleep apnea?
- 8 Is it safe to give Marinol to children?
How can drug interactions be prevented in the elderly?
Here are some tips to prevent drug interactions:
- Keep track of side effects.
- Learn about your drugs.
- Have your doctor review your drugs.
- Ask the doctor, “When can I stop taking this drug?” and, “How do we know this drug is still working?”
- Ask a pharmacist what foods to take with each drug.
- Follow directions.
Is Marinol safe for elderly?
Elderly patients may be more sensitive to the neurological and psychoactive effects of MARINOL [see Use in Specific Populations (8.4, 8.5)]. MARINOL can cause and may impair the mental and/or physical abilities required for the performance of hazardous tasks such as driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery.
What are some guidelines for taking medication safely?
Here are some tips to help you take your medicines safely:
- Follow instructions. Read all medicine labels.
- Use the right amount.
- Take medicine on time.
- Turn on a light.
- Report problems.
- Tell your doctor about alcohol, tobacco, and drug use.
- Check before stopping.
- Don’t share.
How do you take dronabinol?
Take your first dose on an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes before eating. After your first dose, you may take dronabinol with or without food but take it the same way each time. Dronabinol is usually given 1 to 3 hours before your chemotherapy treatment, and then every 2 to 4 hours (up to 6 doses per day).
How can you prevent drug and drug interactions?
Minimizing the risk of interactions
- Know why you are taking each medication.
- Know how to take the drug.
- Fill all your prescriptions at the same pharmacy.
- Be suspicious of supplements.
- Go easy on grapefruit juice.
- Limit alcohol.
- Talk to your pharmacist.
What needs to be done to safely administer medication to older adults and ensure compliance?
4 Medication Safety Tips for Older Adults
- Take Medicine as Prescribed — with Input from Your Health Care Provider.
- Store your Medicines Properly and Check the Expiration Date.
- Be Aware of Potential Medication Interactions and Side Effects.
- Keep a Medication List.
When should dronabinol be given?
Dronabinol comes as a capsule and as a solution (liquid) to take by mouth. When dronabinol capsules and solution are used to treat nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy, it is usually taken 1 to 3 hours before chemotherapy and then every 2 to 4 hours after chemotherapy, for a total of 4 to 6 doses a day.
Can dronabinol be used for anxiety?
Dronabinol is is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat loss of appetite in chemotherapy patients, but dronabinol is not approved by the FDA to treat depression and/or anxiety.
What are three strategies for using medications safely?
Put your medicines in a safe place.
- Check for storage instructions on the medicine label — for example, some medicines need to be stored in the refrigerator.
- Store medicines that don’t have special storage instructions in a cool, dry place.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
When should I take dronabinol?
What are side effects of dronabinol?
Dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, feeling “high,” an exaggerated sense of well-being, lightheadedness, nausea, vomiting, or stomach/abdominal pain may occur as your body adjusts to the medication.
When to take the next dose of dronabinol?
Take your next dose at the regular time. Do not double the dose to catch up. Store this medication according to the directions on the product package, away from light and moisture. Some brands must be refrigerated, and others may be stored at room temperature. Consult your pharmacist for more details.
When to take dronabinol for severe sleep apnea?
Obstructive sleep apnea, moderate to severe (off-label use): Oral: 2.5 mg or 10 mg 1 hour before bedtime. An initial dose escalation is required for the 10 mg dose: Initiate at 2.5 mg 1 hour before bedtime for 7 days, followed by 5 mg 1 hour before bedtime for 7 days, and then 10 mg 1 hour before bedtime (Carley 2018).
Is it safe to give Marinol to children?
Pediatrics:MARINOL Capsules is not recommended for AIDS-related anorexia in pediatric patients because it has not been studied in this population. The pediatric dosage for the treatment of chemotherapy-induced emesis is the same as in adults. Caution is recommended in prescribing MARINOL Capsules for children because of the psychoactive effects.
How is dronabinol used in the treatment of cancer?
Dronabinol is used to treat nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy. It is usually used when other drugs to control nausea and vomiting have not been successful. Dronabinol is also used to treat loss of appetite and weight loss in patients with HIV infection. Dronabinol (also called THC) is a man-made form…