Menu Close

Who do you call first when oil or fuel spills?

Who do you call first when oil or fuel spills?

States also may have separate reporting requirements. However, anyone who discovers a hazardous substance release or oil spill is encouraged to contact the federal government, regardless of whether they are the responsible party. All it takes is a single telephone call to the National Response Center at (800) 424-8802.

Who do you call when a spill occurs?

Reporting a hazardous substance release or oil spill takes only a few minutes. To report a release or spill, contact the federal government’s centralized reporting center, the National Response Center (NRC), at 1-800-424-8802.

What will be your first step in case of a oil spill?

If you have a spill, the immediate first step is to contain the spill to ensure that the spill does not enter drains or seep onto permeable ground. The next step is to use sawdust, cement or spill kit materials to absorb the spilled liquids. The spill kit materials should then be disposed of as hazardous waste.

What do it do if I have an oil spill?

Take action:

  1. If you can safely stop the flow of oil do.
  2. Use the contents of your spill kit, sandbags or earth to soak up the oil if it’s on a hard surface and stop it entering a river, stream, watercourse, and drains or soaking into the ground.
  3. Never wash any spilt oil away into drains, a gully or into the ground.

What is the National Response Center?

The National Response Center (NRC) is a part of the federally established National Response System and staffed 24 hours a day by the U.S. Coast Guard. The NRC also takes maritime reports of suspicious activity and security breaches within the waters of the United States and its territories.

How do you report an oil spill?

Call 000 to report major pollution incidents If you observe a major pollution incident that presents an immediate threat to human health or property, such as toxic fumes or a large chemical spill, call 000 to report it to emergency services.

When should I call NRC?

If you see or discover an oil spill or release of chemicals and are NOT the responsible party, you should contact the NRC with whatever information you have.